Symposium: “Leave No Victim Behind: Victims’ Rights and the Sustainable Development Goals”
Every year, Victim Support Europe commemorates the European Day for Victims of Crime, a day dedicated to advocating for progress in and legal improvement of comprehensive support for all victims of crime, regardless of the crime or the victim.
In 2024, the event seeks to highlight the intrinsic connection between victims’ rights and the achievement of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), fostering dialogue among stakeholders to address any identifiable gaps and challenges.
By hearing victims’ testimonies and experts’ insights, the event will emphasise the need for an inclusive approach to sustainable development.
- Objective: By examining how victims’ rights align with specific SDG targets, the event will identify priority issues and strategies to ensure no one is left behind.
- Format: The event will comprise of testimonies from victims of crime, presentations of policy briefs, and expert-led panel sessions.
- Context: The upcoming revision of the 2012 Victims’ Rights Directive and the 2024 EU Elections provide a timely opportunity to advocate for victims’ rights in alignment with SDGs.
- Inclusivity: By means of their testimonies, victims of crime will present the challenges they face in SDG attainment, to drive home the importance of including victim support.
- Solutions: The event will propose actionable recommendations to bridge the gaps between victims’ rights and SDGs, drawing on the insights of experts and successful initiatives.
- Advocacy: By using the 2030 Agenda as a tool, the event will offer attendees possible strategies with which to advocate for victims’ rights within the SDG framework.
Overall, the event concept envisions a dynamic and effective platform, where victims’ voices and experts’ insight combine to underscore the urgency of integrating victims’ rights within the SDG agenda. Through collaboration, actionable recommendations, and shared commitment, the event aims to foster positive victim-centric change and to contribute to a more just and sustainable society.
The event will take place on 22 February 2024, from 13:30 and 17:00 pm CET. You are welcome from 13:00 pm onwards. We kindly invite you to join the networking drinks after the event, from 17:00 – 18:30 pm CET.
The Press Club Brussels
Rue Froissart 95
The event will be broadcast live on Brussels Press Club TV.
Do you wish to attend? Register by filling out the form here. Please note registration will close on Monday, February 19th 2024.