A Union of Equality is one of the major priorities of Ursula von der Leyen’s Commission. The Gender Equality Strategy presented today is the first Commission strategy in this area of equality, delivering on the commitments made by the President in her political guidelines.
The concrete actions for equality 2020-2025 are:
– establishing legal measures to criminalise violence against women;
– the Commission will propose the Digital Services Act to clarify what measures are expected from platforms to address illegal activities online, including online violence targeting women;
– addressing the gender pay gaps, in particular, a public consultation on pay transparency is launched and will table binding measures by the end of 2020;
– pushing for the adoption of the 2012 proposal for gender balance on corporate boards + funding women’s participation in politics;
– the Commission will strive to reach gender balance of 50% at all levels of its management by the end of 2024;
– integrating a gender perspective in all EU policies.