Victim Support Europe (VSE) is the leading umbrella organisation advocating for victims of crime. It consists of 70 member organisations from 34 countries which together support over 2 million victims of crime every year. VSE advocates on behalf of all victims, to strengthen their rights and services throughout Europe.
The organisation aims to ensure that every victim in Europe is able to access these rights and services in the aftermath of crime, regardless of where the victim lives or where the crime took place.
Whilst embodying our fundamental values of respect, compassion, commitment, community, and collaboration, at the heart of our success is our commitment to unbeatable quality, innovation and a focus on practical solutions to the problems faced by victims.
As part of our long-term strategy, we are strengthening VSE’s operations to build the capability of support services, NGOs, Governments and their agencies, and businesses to operate to the highest quality in helping victims to recover emotionally or to access justice as safely as possible.
To do this, VSE recently established its Capacity Building team and launched a Training Academy. Through operational activities and a series of projects, we are focused on introducing innovative and practical solutions for work victims. Whether through experiential training, 3D videos and virtual reality, or developing referral mechanisms for the police or helping hospitals to identify victims and work with them, we are always pushing the boundaries of what it possible at the national and international level.
The present vacancy is the opportunity for an ambitious and passionate individual to help us transform the way we will deliver meaningful change for victims across Europe and beyond. The successful candidate will be creative, dynamic, proactive and highly organised, with the ability to solve problems and create solutions using their own initiative. The candidate should have at least 5 years of proven work experience in training and capacity building and ideally have a strong background in either victims issues, social welfare issues or psychology.
Under the lead of the Executive Director and the Deputy Director, and in conjunction with colleagues from the Capacity Building and Training Team, the Senior Training and Capacity Building Officer`s primary responsibilities in training and knowledge development will include:
Lead the strategic development of the VSE Academy and strategy by:
- Developing priorities for growing the academy and delivering high quality training;
- Building internal and external capability to design and deliver training, in particular online training capability;
- Creating business opportunities with external clients to deliver training and promoting VSE training;
- Supporting the management, motivation and development of the training team;
- Developing tools for pre-post training evaluation and conduct evaluation.
Lead in the design and delivery of training by:
- Organising and preparing VSE’s annual training programme for VSE members, and for staff and volunteer development and performance;
- Developing training – both online and offline – for internal and external purposes, including proactively working with organisations to design bespoke training activities;
- Leading on the development or updating of knowledge resources and training tools including training curriculum, manuals, modules and relevant guidelines, training materials etc.;
- Developing and delivering training proposals and budgets within VSE Project proposals;
- Delivering training including for instructors;
- Conducting training needs assessment.
The incumbent’s responsibilities in VSE membership and capacity building will include:
- Supporting the growth of VSE’s membership and managing the application and intake system;
- Leading the development and implementation of VSE’s membership engagement strategy;
- Development and tracking of members’ information, needs, priorities and direct contacts in particular through management of VSE online tools (intranet, hub, membership management system), coordinating with VSE Data Protection Officer to ensure compliance with EU GDPR;
- Ensuring the delivery of an excellent level of service to members, ensuring well-informed and prompt responses to membership enquiries;
- Working across VSE teams to ensure coordinated approach to membership and broader VSE networks.
Leading on capacity building:
- Developing a comprehensive capacity-building plan for VSE;
- Planning and ensuring the delivery of national capacity building activities and events including operation of VSE’s Centre of Excellence for distance support and staff exchange for members;
- Ensuring the implementation and continuing development of VSE’s standards and accreditation process.
- Hold a relevant university degree;
- Be in possession of a certification in training or commensurate experience in organising and delivering training of trainers;
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in training and capacity building;
- Legal right to reside and work in Belgium;
- Available for regular travel in the EU.
Skills & Experience
- Excellent and proven managerial, organisational, leadership and teamwork skills;
- Excellent oral communication and drafting skills in English;
- Proven experience in development of training curriculum, manuals, modules and relevant guidelines develop training and learning materials;
- Experience in the development of computer based training and instructional design;
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft applications;
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing skills.
- Committed to equality, human rights and rights of victims of crime;
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team;
- Diplomatic and non-judgmental, able to relate to people in all situations;
- Very organised with a strong attention to detail;
- Flexible – post holder will be required to travel;
- Customer focused- able to relate to staff and volunteers at all levels.
- Experience in membership based organisation, umbrella NGO or network or similar;
- Qualification in/understanding of victims’ issues;
- Proficiency in use of instructional design;
- Knowledge of other EU languages;
- Strong acumen of research.
Terms of the contract
The selected candidate will be offered a permanent full-time contract (38 hours/week).
Desired starting date of employment is May 2023.
Start salary is 3500 euros (gross) per month, with regular statutory and non-statutory indexations with seniority.
Standard Belgian employment contract including holiday bonus, 13th month, meal vouchers and transportation allowance is offered.
Extra-legal leave is granted during the first year of employment and additional benefits (flexible hours, work from home allowance, eco cheques and similar) are made available to employees.
This is a vacancy for a position based in Brussels, Belgium. All applicants need to have a legal right to reside and work in Belgium.
VSE is not in a position to cover any application related cost to shortlisted candidates, or relocation costs to successful candidate.
VSE is an equal opportunity employer.
The application should include:
- an up to date CV;
- a motivation letter of 500-1000 words outlining: why the applicant wants the job; what special attributes the applicant would bring to the job; and what skills, knowledge and experience the applicant has that are transferrable to this position;
- a minimum of two references that may be contacted during the recruitment process should be mentioned.
Please send your application only electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for sending applications is 24 March 2023, 5 PM (CET).
After the application deadline:
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis;
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 5 April 2023;
- Interviews will take place in the week of 10 April 2023.
Depending on the number of applications, VSE withholds the right to invite shortlisted applicants to complete a written assignment, which can affect the planning laid out above.