Today, VSE’s Executive Director Levent Altan will make a speech and presentation at ERA Summer Course on European Criminal Justice in Trier, Germany.
Academy of European Law (ERA) and Victim Support Europe have a long history of joint work and cooperation and today’s speech and presentation ans well as contribution to other sessions ans workshops of VSE’s representative on ERA summer school is a continuation and an additional contribution to our cooperation.
Mr. Altan will speak about “Victims’ rights in EU legislation; Minimum standards – mutual recognition of protection orders – compensation to victims of crime”. Today’s presentation will focus on several topics including:
- The needs of victims of crime, impact of crime and benefits of action
- The European Legislative Framework
- The EU Victims’ Rights Directive
- The EU Directive on Combating terrorism
ERA Summer Course on European Criminal Justice which is being held in Trier, Germany, from 19 to 23 June 2017 is aiming to introduce lawyers to practical aspects of European criminal justice.
Key topics that are going to be presented, lectured and discussed are:
- The institutional framework of European criminal justice under the Lisbon Treaty
- European criminal justice and Brexit
- The competence and jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU)
- The future architecture of European criminal justice: roles and tasks of Eurojust, the European Judicial Network, Europol, and the forthcoming European Public Prosecutor’s Office (EPPO)
- EU legislation regarding serious cross-border crime such as trafficking in human beings, migrant smuggling, terrorism, and cybercrime
- The rights to interpretation and translation, information, access to a lawyer, legal aid, and procedural safeguards for children suspected or accused in criminal proceedings
- The European Investigation Order and its impact on the EU’s legal framework regarding the obtaining of foreign evidence
- Current issues regarding the European Arrest Warrant
- Measures relating to pre-trial detention, custodial sentences, supervision of probation measures and alternative sanctions
- Minimum standards for victims and the European Protection Order
;ore about the summer course and its programme you can find here